If you are like me, I know I can squeeze out ten minutes of my day to do exercise each day. But, confession…my own laziness gets in the way. Do you feel the same way? These 5 best exercises to do every day will help! Now that it is 2023, no more excuses for this busy mama of three young humans.
I’ve reached out to my fellow Crossfit mamas, and they all agree that these 5 exercises are going to transform not only my body, but my energy too! And the good news? None of them require any equipment and can be done in the comfort of your home while your kids watch t.v.!
Remember, I do earn a small commission if you choose to purchase through this blog! Just know that this stay-at-home mama does a little happy dance when you do!!
Ready?! Me too! Let’s do this!
By doing the plank, you will experience a whole-body work out. It engages your arms, shoulders, back, core, and legs. Try holding if for 10 seconds, then 20, making your way up to 60 seconds. This is a great beginner work out, that can be modified either by time or by your arms!
- PRO TIP: Watch your bum! Don’t let it sneak up toward the ceiling. Rather, keep you body straight from head to toe to form a true plank position.
- Scaling Tip: Hold a plank from your elbows on the floor (like the picture above), or holding the plank in a push up position to mix it up!
- Challenge: Lift one arm up straight ahead, then lift a leg up straight behind for set amount of time! Too easy? Try to bring your extended arm and leg into your core then back out!
Remember these in gym class? Well, we did them for a reason. Even an “air squat” or squatting like you’re going to sit in a chair, then standing back up is an excellent work out for your lower body. The squat engages your glutes , calves, hamstrings, and quads! Make sure your chest is up and your shoulders are back!
- PRO TIP: Make sure you are not dipping or squatting too low. Ideally, you want your your thighs to be parallel with the floor. Make sure your heels are behind your knees!
- Scaling Tip: Change up the amount of reps you do. Start with 5, then 10, then 20. See if you can do them lower each day.
- Challenge: Add some weight! Find something heavy around your house (or hold your child),to make this movement really burn. Perk? Your kiddo will love it too! Have fun with it!
3. Push Ups
I love this type of exercise because you can modify it so easily! If you are a woman like me, I struggle with my upper-arm strength. Push ups can fix that! Most trainers recommend starting with your knees on the floor, keeping your arms should width apart, elbows in as close as you can to your torso. Bend your arms to lower your body down so your chest hits the floor, then push yourself up.
- PRO TIP: Keep you bum from sneaking up to the ceiling. Like the plank, you want to keep your body in a straight line in order to work your arm muscles!
- Scaling Tip: Start this with your knees on the floor, then progress to a true push up position. You can also pushups from your knees and your hands on the couch! I also like to wrap an elastic band around my arms to help me push my body back up!
- Challenge: Try to do deeper pushups! Either find something sturdy like dumbbells or home weights to stack up on either side of your body to perform a deeper and tougher push up.
4. Sit Ups
I have to be honest. After having three kids, these are definitely not something I look forward to. Knowing this, be kind to yourself! We all want our pre-baby body, but just know your abs have gone through a lot!
- PRO TIP: If you suffer from diastasis recti (aka your abs separated during pregnancy), be careful with this movement! Read this article on other ways to scale this movement!
- Scaling Tip: I recommend starting sit ups with small crunches where your shoulders just leave the floor, then progressing to real sit ups where your shoulders go over your hips!
- Challenge: Add some weight or use a medicine ball! You can hold these weights next to your chest or with extended arms behind your head, then sitting up and extending your arms through your knees with the weight in your hands.
The most dreaded workout for a reason, BUT…the most rewarding. Not only is this a fat-burning and intense whole-body workout, but it’s fantastic for cardio too! Want to get your heart pumping and burn some weight off? Well, this movement is for you!
- PRO TIP: From a standing position, “fall” to the floor in a push up position. With your legs, jump them forward toward your arms and stand up. Do this slow at first, then gradually increase your speed!
- Scaling Tip: Don’t go all the way to the floor! Find something elevated like a dining room chair or a bench, and step or jump your legs back in a plank position, step or jump back toward your hands.
- Challenge: Jumping burpees! Yep, you heard me. Do the burpee movement, but when you jump your feet back up toward your arms, explode from the floor and jump up and clap your hands above your head!
Well, now you know the best 5 exercises to do every day! All of these exercises will (in time) transform your body, get your endorphins flowing, and give you more energy!
Why wait! I know you can do it! Let’s not be lazy in 2023! Let’s set aside 10 minutes every day to be proud of ourselves and love our bodies!
Let’s do this!
If you liked this post, you may also enjoy: